Cleaning Solar Panels Maintains Performance
Typically there’s not a whole lot of maintenance involved with cleaning solar panels, but you do want to make sure that you get your modules cleaned every couple of years. This will help increase the output of your system to its maximum potential.
It’s not required that you do it, but it’s still a good idea. There’s some buildup that can accumulate out here and you want to make sure you are really cleaning that buildup out so it’s not blocking the solar cells if you leave them too dirty for too long.
The cleaning process is really simple.
- You are going to want to make sure that you go out there not in the heat of the day.
- Spray down your modules first and get them wet.
- Get a soft, long-handled bristle brush and fill up a bucket some warm water and a little bit of Simple Green.
- Take your soft bristle brush, dip that in the water, and scrub down your modules really well. Try to get as much of that buildup off as you can.
- When you are done with that, just hose down the modules. Really get all that residue off and all the cleaner off. Make sure they are as clean as possible.
While you are up there, also take a look under the modules and do a visual inspection and make sure there are no critters that have made a home down there. It’s not too common up here, but it can happen. A nest under your modules is a perfect spot for them to start chewing through wires and create some pretty expensive problems for your system. Make sure only to use a hose, no pressure washers on the modules.
Safety Tip! Please practice proper roof safety while cleaning your modules. If you have a safety anchor on your roof, you can rope up with a harness, or you can work from the ladder and avoid getting on the wet roof. If you are not comfortable on the roof, then you can hire specific cleaning companies to come out and clean your modules for you.
Visit our service page if you need to submit a service request for your solar PV system.